• Our new series of DC Comics picture books is growing! Add these new Big Books to your collection: The Big Book of Batman, The Big Book of Superman, and The Big Book of Wonder Woman. Perfect for kids ages 3 and up, these books are action-packed and inspiring, with original art in the DC Classic style. Available now.
• Fresh this fall: our PBS KIDS 100 Series consists of a trio of rich, colorful board books designed to help babies, toddlers, and preschoolers grow their vocabularies. Bonus: 100 Words for Toddlers already won a 2017 National Parenting Products Award (NAPPA)!
• We are excited to announce The Official DC Super Hero Joke Book by Noah Smith, Michael Robin, and Sarah Parvis is now available. Illustrated with beloved classic DC comic book art, our joke book is packed with more than 600 puns, knock-knocks, one-liners, riddles, gags, and tongue twisters. Check it out.
• Our activity sheets feature projects and recipes from a selection of our titles. These super simple activities work just as well in stores and libraries as they do at home or in the classroom. Please contact us if you'd like us to customize an event sheet for your store or library.
Downtown Bookworks is on Facebook, twitter, and Pinterest — follow us for the latest DTBWP news.
• USA Today says about our new PBS KIDS Turn the Key Around the World: "this brilliant little book packs a lot of learning into 12 pages," and lauds its "cross-cultural perspective." Read the full article here.
• Pregnancy magazine on our recent The Official DC Super Hero Joke Book: "I have yet to meet a kid who doesn’t love a goofy joke. Pair the jokes with superheroes, and you really can’t go wrong." Read the full article here.
• Syndicated book columnist Terri Schlinchenmeyer, of the Courier & Press recommends both of our PBS KIDS Look and Learn kits for the "young environmentalist on your list." Read the full article here.
• We are pleased to announce that Look and Learn Birds by Sarah Parvis, a book and kit we created with PBS Kids, just won a Eureka Award! The Eureka! Nonfiction Children’s Book Awards are given out by The California Reading Association to celebrate engaging nonfiction books of all kinds.
The Joker, the Penguin, and more Super-Villains
• Suicide Squad opened in theaters, and parents consoled kids who were too young to watch it with our much more age appropriate My First Book of Super-Villains. You can read about it in Nerd Much?, What'cha Reading?, Smells Like Infinite Sadness, and Wicked Local.
PBS Do It Myself Cookbook wins award
• Our PBS Do It Myself Cookbook is a winner according to NAPPA (National Parenting Publications Awards)! "With over 100 kid friendly recipes—nothing sharp and nothing hot, this cookbook is a great introduction to the kitchen. The colorful and easy to read instructions are perfect for new readers, and working with an adult on these recipes creates a bonding experience." As nj.com noted, the Do It Myself Cookbook is a perfect gift "for the kid who always wants to help in the kitchen" (see their kitchen gift list here).
My Favorite Purse follows popular My Favorite Shoes
• Amazon.com chose our brand-new My Favorite Purse as one of November's Best Books of the Month. My Favorite Purse is the perfect companion to My Favorite Shoes, which was #1 on Amazon.com's Best Board Books of 2013 (for ages 0-2). These two touch-and-feel board books are big hits with both mamas and babies who love all things fashion (and just plain fun!) Pat the furry boots! Feel the faux crocodile tote!
The good reviews are rolling in:
• GirlTalkHQ.com on our Girl Power books: "Downtown Bookworks in New York are doing their part to celebrate [Wonder Woman's] 75th anniversary and keep the conversation going about girl power in the younger generation." Read the full article here.
• DC Super Heroes: My First Book of Girl Power is a hit — #6 on Publishers Weekly's best-selling children's books list. See full list here.
• uproxx.com says about our DC Super Hero board books: "This is a good example of DC's licensing department getting things right." Read full review here.
• geekdad.com gives our full line of DC Super Heroes board books some love. Read full review here.
• blogs.denverpost.com/nerd says of DC Super Heroes: My First Dictionary "...it’s clean and easy to read, contains more than 500 words, and for the sake of all that’s holy, has some gorgeous and nostalgic images from back issues of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Shazam, Flash and many more." Read full review here.
• comicsalliance.com: "Superhero publishers could learn a lot from Downtown Bookworks." Read full review here.
• Library Goddesses says of The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook, “This book will turn any young comic book lover into a junior chef! . . .Great for theme parties or just for fun.” Read full review here.
Five awards from The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio
• We're thrilled to announce that The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio (the independent guide to children's media) awarded five of our books the GOLD award for Best Book 2013; and one of our books, the PLATINUM award (highest honor). Read their review for each of our winning books here:
• The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook (Platinum)
• Into the Field Guide: A Walk in the Woods (Gold)
• Into the Field Guide: A Walk on the Beach (Gold)
• Art from the Start: Mama, Baby, & Other First Words (Gold)
• Art from the Start: Animals in Art (Gold)
• Science with Stuff: Shark-tastic (Gold)
Downtown Bookworks around town
• A nice piece in Publishers Weekly about our licensing deal with PBS Kids, "PBS Heads Downtown."
• Check us out on New York Family (1/2/14).
Our books make great gifts
"This kid-friendly series of nature guides offers a basic introduction to animals, rocks, flowers, seashells, plant life and more. Readers can get hands-on with the included accessories: mesh bags and containers to collect pebbles, flowers, acorns, sea glass, or other tidbits, plus a magnifying glass for further scrutinizing. Each guide also includes a handful of fun tips and activities, like how to dig for mussels or how to make “helicopter” seeds fly."
• Libraries love Shakespeare's Seasons. Read a recent review from the public library system in Virginia Beach here.
• Finger Fun! was selected as a TOP 10 Birthday Gift by FamilyFun Magazine.