• The PBS Kids Look and Learn books are a new series from Downtown Bookworks and PBS Kids. These delightful kits come with the tools kids need to look at insects and birds up close. Available now!
• We've added two titles to our popular line of DC Super Heroes board books. Super Heroes Have Friends Too! teaches budding super heroes about friendship through beloved DC characters including Batman and Robin, Superman and Supergirl, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, and many other fan favorites. And On the Go! illustrates how super heroes (and regular people) get from place to place.
• Summer is the time for entrepreneurial kids to mow lawns, sell lemonade, and start the business of their dreams. And we’ve got the resource for them! How to Start Your Very First Business by Warren Buffett's Secret Millionaires Club provides kids with tons of great business ideas and creative tips for branding, marketing and achieving success. Warren, Julie, and Sarah did an interview with Forbes reporter Dan Schawbel. They talk about the book and about how starting a business as a youngster can impact the rest of your life. Check out the Forbes interview here! The book is packaged with a Square credit card reader so that young business people can take cash or credit cards as soon as they are up and running.
• We've expanded and improved our award-winning The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook to create a DELUXE EDITION which comes with 3 cookie cutters in the shape of Super Hero symbols. The deluxe edition also includes stencils and character cut-outs (as does the stand-alone book).
We have an array of activity sheets based on our books — use them in your classroom or store!
Downtown Bookworks is on Facebook, twitter, and Pinterest — follow us for the latest DTBWP news.
The Joker, the Penguin, and more Super-Villains
• Suicide Squad opened in theaters, and parents consoled kids who were too young to watch it with our much more age appropriate My First Book of Super-Villains. You can read about it in Nerd Much?, What'cha Reading?, Smells Like Infinite Sadness, and Wicked Local.
PBS Do It Myself Cookbook wins award
• Our PBS Do It Myself Cookbook is a winner according to NAPPA (National Parenting Publications Awards)! "With over 100 kid friendly recipes—nothing sharp and nothing hot, this cookbook is a great introduction to the kitchen. The colorful and easy to read instructions are perfect for new readers, and working with an adult on these recipes creates a bonding experience." As nj.com noted, the Do It Myself Cookbook is a perfect gift "for the kid who always wants to help in the kitchen" (see their kitchen gift list here).
My Favorite Purse follows popular My Favorite Shoes
• Amazon.com chose our brand-new My Favorite Purse as one of November's Best Books of the Month. My Favorite Purse is the perfect companion to My Favorite Shoes, which was #1 on Amazon.com's Best Board Books of 2013 (for ages 0-2). These two touch-and-feel board books are big hits with both mamas and babies who love all things fashion (and just plain fun!) Pat the furry boots! Feel the faux crocodile tote!
More love for our DC Super Hero books
• DC Super Heroes: My First Book of Girl Power is a hit — #6 on Publishers Weekly's best-selling children's books list. See full list here.
• uproxx.com says about our DC Super Hero board books: "This is a good example of DC's licensing department getting things right." Read full review here.
• geekdad.com gives our full line of DC Super Heroes board books some love. Read full review here.
• blogs.denverpost.com/nerd says of DC Super Heroes: My First Dictionary "...it’s clean and easy to read, contains more than 500 words, and for the sake of all that’s holy, has some gorgeous and nostalgic images from back issues of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Shazam, Flash and many more." Read full review here.
• comicsalliance.com: "Superhero publishers could learn a lot from Downtown Bookworks." Read full review here.
• aquamanshrine.net on DC Super Heroes: My First Dictionary— "how cool is this book?" Read full review here.
• Library Goddesses says of The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook, “This book will turn any young comic book lover into a junior chef! . . .Great for theme parties or just for fun.” Read full review here.
• More on The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook: “Easy to follow directions for lots of kid-favorites, it’s perfect for young superheroes in training,” reports TheadingRoughts. “There are lots of ways parents can sneak in veggies, and every recipe can be adaptive for sensitive tummies.” Read full review here.
A lot of love for Clever Costumes and others
• Popular mommy blog, the centsible life, reviewed "Best Birthday Gifts" including The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook, Shark-tastic, and Clever Costumes.
• Popular craft blogger Arts & Crackers deems Clever Costumes "perfect for frugal-minded people like me because it shows you ways to use things you probably already have lying around like plastic bags, old socks, and bubble wrap mailers!" Read full review here.
• Gingerly Made (another craft blogger) loves Clever Costumes as well: "Clever Costumes may just save my sanity and possibly my wallet this year...This kit comes with a few supplies to get you started and a TON of fantastic costume ideas." Read full review here.
• My Life Abundant (craft blogger) digs Clever Costumes too.
Five awards from The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio
• We're thrilled to announce that The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio (the independent guide to children's media) awarded five of our books the GOLD award for Best Book 2013; and one of our books, the PLATINUM award (highest honor). Read their review for each of our winning books here:
• The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook (Platinum)
• Into the Field Guide: A Walk in the Woods (Gold)
• Into the Field Guide: A Walk on the Beach (Gold)
• Art from the Start: Mama, Baby, & Other First Words (Gold)
• Art from the Start: Animals in Art (Gold)
• Science with Stuff: Shark-tastic (Gold)
Downtown Bookworks around town
• A nice piece in Publishers Weekly about our licensing deal with PBS Kids, "PBS Heads Downtown."
• Check us out on New York Family (1/2/14).
Our books make great gifts
"This kid-friendly series of nature guides offers a basic introduction to animals, rocks, flowers, seashells, plant life and more. Readers can get hands-on with the included accessories: mesh bags and containers to collect pebbles, flowers, acorns, sea glass, or other tidbits, plus a magnifying glass for further scrutinizing. Each guide also includes a handful of fun tips and activities, like how to dig for mussels or how to make “helicopter” seeds fly."
• Libraries love Shakespeare's Seasons. Read a recent review from the public library system in Virginia Beach here.
• Finger Fun! was selected as a TOP 10 Birthday Gift by FamilyFun Magazine.