• Feminism starts at home—and My First Book of Feminism (for Boys) is where it begins! Of the many that are digging this timely new board book, here are reviews from a handful: PyschCentral, Red Tricylce, Kveller, Baby Chick, Girl Talk HQ, and School Library Journal.
• Hipster baby book alert: Baby's First Eames is here! This whimsically illustrated board book offers a delightful A-to-Z overview of modern design icons for the toddler set. Baby's First Eames is garnering praise here in the U.S. and abroad—see House Beautiful (U.K.)'s review, author Julie Merberg's Q&A on apartment therapy, and Young Architect's "15 Architect Books for Babies" list.
• A must-have for any Jewish baby's nursery, My First Jewish Baby Book is here in time for Hanukkah (see Cool Mom Pick's gift guide)! The Jewish Journal and San Diego Jewish World also give this delightful board book a thumbs up.
• Rebel girls, young entrepreneurs, and other trailblazing tweens and teens (and adults) are loving our Girl CEO book. Recently, the School Library Journal put Girl CEO on their Teen Librarian Toolbox list, Brit + Co wrote a nice piece based on it, the hacker/artists at adafruit added it to their online shop, and BookRiot put it on their "new collective biographies" list.
• Blogs Major Spoilers, Outright Geekery, Lemon Stripes, and Nerdophiles are pysched about our girl power activity books, Girl Power Journal and Color Me Powerful. From Nerdophile: "Color Me Powerful helps girls put the things that make them special down on paper. It’s not just about imagining yourself as a superhero, but also about embracing your real-life talents." PopInsider just put it on their 2018 gift guide list—get your super-heroine one of these awesomely colorful and creative books now!
• Our DC Super Heroes Big Books are a hit with kids and parents alike. From blog AiPT!: "This entire line of books is a perfect addition to your kids’ bookshelves, and won’t leave you bored when you read it for the 112th time," and "Batman is laid bare in a fitting format for junior readers." HuffPost's 2017 "Best Gifts for Kids That Aren't Toys" list includes both The Big Book of Wonder Woman and The Big Book of Batman. And all three of the new DC Big Book picture books (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) are featured on The Good Men Project's Geek Holiday Gift Guide. Batman News and The Geekiary love them too.
• As blog smellslikeinfinitiesadness says of our new DC Comics activity book, Awesome Activities for Super Heroes, "it contains tons of classic vintage D.C. artwork which may inspire some older comic geeks to enjoys its charms when they can wrestle it away from their kids."
• Three of our books recently garnered 2017 Brain Child awards from Tillywig (Toy and Media Awards). The Brain Child award highlights products that "nurture your child’s intellectual or emotional development." Yes, these books will! Read the reviews here: PBS KIDS Turn the Key Around the World, PBS KIDS Turn the Key On the Farm, and PBS KIDS 100 Words for Toddlers.
• Always a good gift idea: our DC Super Heroes Little Library comprised of our 10 bestselling DC Super Heroes board books. As Blastr says of the box set, "it's never to early to introduce kids to the great fictional heroes of our modern age."
• We are pleased to announce that Look and Learn Birds by Sarah Parvis, a book and kit we created with PBS Kids, won an Eureka Award! The Eureka! Nonfiction Children’s Book Awards are given out by The California Reading Association to celebrate engaging nonfiction books of all kinds. Both Look and Learn Birds and Look and Learn Insects won Parents' Choice awards in Spring 2017.
PBS Do It Myself Cookbook wins award
• Our PBS Do It Myself Cookbook is a winner according to NAPPA (National Parenting Publications Awards)! "With over 100 kid friendly recipes—nothing sharp and nothing hot, this cookbook is a great introduction to the kitchen. The colorful and easy to read instructions are perfect for new readers, and working with an adult on these recipes creates a bonding experience." As nj.com noted, the Do It Myself Cookbook is a perfect gift "for the kid who always wants to help in the kitchen" (see their kitchen gift list here).
My Favorite Purse follows popular My Favorite Shoes
• Amazon.com chose our brand-new My Favorite Purse as one of November's Best Books of the Month. My Favorite Purse is the perfect companion to My Favorite Shoes, which was #1 on Amazon.com's Best Board Books of 2013 (for ages 0-2). These two touch-and-feel board books are big hits with both mamas and babies who love all things fashion (and just plain fun!) Pat the furry boots! Feel the faux crocodile tote!
The good reviews are rolling in:
• GirlTalkHQ.com on our Girl Power books: "Downtown Bookworks in New York are doing their part to celebrate [Wonder Woman's] 75th anniversary and keep the conversation going about girl power in the younger generation." Read the full article here.
• DC Super Heroes: My First Book of Girl Power is a hit — #6 on Publishers Weekly's best-selling children's books list. See full list here.
• blogs.denverpost.com/nerd says of DC Super Heroes: My First Dictionary "...it’s clean and easy to read, contains more than 500 words, and for the sake of all that’s holy, has some gorgeous and nostalgic images from back issues of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Shazam, Flash and many more." Read full review here.
• comicsalliance.com: "Superhero publishers could learn a lot from Downtown Bookworks." Read full review here.
Downtown Bookworks around town
• A nice piece in Publishers Weekly about our licensing deal with PBS Kids, "PBS Heads Downtown."
• Check us out on New York Family (1/2/14).
Our books make great gifts
"This kid-friendly series of nature guides offers a basic introduction to animals, rocks, flowers, seashells, plant life and more. Readers can get hands-on with the included accessories: mesh bags and containers to collect pebbles, flowers, acorns, sea glass, or other tidbits, plus a magnifying glass for further scrutinizing. Each guide also includes a handful of fun tips and activities, like how to dig for mussels or how to make “helicopter” seeds fly."
• Libraries love Shakespeare's Seasons. Read a recent review from the public library system in Virginia Beach here.
• Finger Fun! was selected as a TOP 10 Birthday Gift by FamilyFun Magazine.
• Part field guide, part folklore, and ALL beautiful, this richly illustrated book is the unicorn treasury every imaginative child needs. Pre-order The Magic of Unicorns here.
• Our newest DC Super Heroes board book is coming soon: Super Heroes Say Please. It's the only etiquette book your child will ask for again and again. Coming in December.
• Splish,splash, Bath Time with Aquaman is coming. Read it right in the bath, because it's waterproof! Coming in December.
• The latest in our super-colorful DC Super Heroes picture books: The Big Book of Super-Villains. Discover super villains' special powers, tricky devices, and secret lairs, as well as memorable battles with their archenemies. Available now.
• And for bedtime, The Big Book of Super Hero Bedtime Stories will help settle the young super hero after a long day. Coming in January, 2019.
• Our activity sheets feature projects and recipes from a selection of our titles. These super simple activities work just as well in stores and libraries as they do at home or in the classroom. Please contact us if you'd like us to customize an event sheet for your store or library.
Downtown Bookworks is on Facebook, twitter, and Pinterest — follow us for the latest DTBWP news.