• Fresh board books: our PBS KIDS 100 Series consists of a trio of rich, colorful board books designed to help babies, toddlers, and preschoolers grow their vocabularies. Bonus: 100 Words for Toddlers already won a 2017 National Parenting Products Award (NAPPA) as well as a Tillywig Brain Child Award! • Our series of DC Comics picture books is growing! Add these new Big Books to your collection: The Big Book of Batman, The Big Book of Superman, and The Big Book of Wonder Woman. Perfect for kids ages 3 and up, these books are action-packed and inspiring, with original art in the DC Classic style. Available now.
• We are excited to announce The Official DC Super Hero Joke Book by Noah Smith, Michael Robin, and Sarah Parvis is now available. Illustrated with beloved classic DC comic book art, our joke book is packed with more than 600 puns, knock-knocks, one-liners, riddles, gags, and tongue twisters. Check it out.
• Our activity sheets feature projects and recipes from a selection of our titles. These super simple activities work just as well in stores and libraries as they do at home or in the classroom. Please contact us if you'd like us to customize an event sheet for your store or library.
Downtown Bookworks is on Facebook, twitter, and Pinterest — follow us for the latest DTBWP news.
• 'Tis the season for gift guides! Two of our new DC Big Books landed on HuffPost's 2017 "Best Gifts for Kids That Aren't Toys" list: The Big Book of Wonder Woman and The Big Book of Batman. And all three of the new DC Big Book picture books (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman) are featured on The Good Men Project's Geek Holiday Gift Guide. Batman News says of the three Big Books "If you want to teach your kids about the DC Universe’s biggest hitters, this is the absolute best place to start. In fact, these books are a great place for anyone to start." thegeekiary on the subject of The Big Book of Wonder Woman, "Wonder Woman has been a symbol of peace and female empowerment for decades. I’m sure this book will help kids find their inner hero."
• Our Color Me Powerful and The Big Book of Wonder Woman books popped up on rainonatinroof blog's "Gifts for Her" list. Blog smellslikeinfinitiesadness also recommends Color Me Powerful as well as Awesome Activities for Super Heroes, saying of the latter "It also contains tons of classic vintage D.C. artwork which may inspire some older comic geeks to enjoys its charms when they can wrestle it away from their kids."
• Blogs FanFest, BleedingCool, and Nerdspan also show some love for Color Me Powerful. From FanFest: "We aren’t sure about you, but we can’t wait to design our own logo and cape, and we’re sort of wondering why we haven’t done that before."
• Three of our books recently garnered 2017 Brain Child awards from Tillywig (Toy and Media Awards). The Brain Child award highlights products that "nurture your child’s intellectual or emotional development." Yes, these books will! Read the reviews here: PBS KIDS Turn the Key Around the World, PBS KIDS Turn the Key On the Farm, and PBS KIDS 100 Words for Toddlers.
• USA Today says about our new PBS KIDS Turn the Key Around the World: "this brilliant little book packs a lot of learning into 12 pages," and lauds its "cross-cultural perspective." Read the full article here.
• Always a good gift idea: our DC Super Heroes Little Library comprised of our 10 bestselling DC Super Heroes board books. As Blastr says of the box set, "it's never to early to introduce kids to the great fictional heroes of our modern age."
• We are pleased to announce that Look and Learn Birds by Sarah Parvis, a book and kit we created with PBS Kids, won an Eureka Award! The Eureka! Nonfiction Children’s Book Awards are given out by The California Reading Association to celebrate engaging nonfiction books of all kinds. Both Look and Learn Birds and Look and Learn Insects won Parents' Choice awards in Spring 2017.
PBS Do It Myself Cookbook wins award
• Our PBS Do It Myself Cookbook is a winner according to NAPPA (National Parenting Publications Awards)! "With over 100 kid friendly recipes—nothing sharp and nothing hot, this cookbook is a great introduction to the kitchen. The colorful and easy to read instructions are perfect for new readers, and working with an adult on these recipes creates a bonding experience." As nj.com noted, the Do It Myself Cookbook is a perfect gift "for the kid who always wants to help in the kitchen" (see their kitchen gift list here).
My Favorite Purse follows popular My Favorite Shoes
• Amazon.com chose our brand-new My Favorite Purse as one of November's Best Books of the Month. My Favorite Purse is the perfect companion to My Favorite Shoes, which was #1 on Amazon.com's Best Board Books of 2013 (for ages 0-2). These two touch-and-feel board books are big hits with both mamas and babies who love all things fashion (and just plain fun!) Pat the furry boots! Feel the faux crocodile tote!
The good reviews are rolling in:
• GirlTalkHQ.com on our Girl Power books: "Downtown Bookworks in New York are doing their part to celebrate [Wonder Woman's] 75th anniversary and keep the conversation going about girl power in the younger generation." Read the full article here.
• DC Super Heroes: My First Book of Girl Power is a hit — #6 on Publishers Weekly's best-selling children's books list. See full list here.
• blogs.denverpost.com/nerd says of DC Super Heroes: My First Dictionary "...it’s clean and easy to read, contains more than 500 words, and for the sake of all that’s holy, has some gorgeous and nostalgic images from back issues of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Shazam, Flash and many more." Read full review here.
• comicsalliance.com: "Superhero publishers could learn a lot from Downtown Bookworks." Read full review here.
Downtown Bookworks around town
• A nice piece in Publishers Weekly about our licensing deal with PBS Kids, "PBS Heads Downtown."
• Check us out on New York Family (1/2/14).
Our books make great gifts
"This kid-friendly series of nature guides offers a basic introduction to animals, rocks, flowers, seashells, plant life and more. Readers can get hands-on with the included accessories: mesh bags and containers to collect pebbles, flowers, acorns, sea glass, or other tidbits, plus a magnifying glass for further scrutinizing. Each guide also includes a handful of fun tips and activities, like how to dig for mussels or how to make “helicopter” seeds fly."
• Libraries love Shakespeare's Seasons. Read a recent review from the public library system in Virginia Beach here.
• Finger Fun! was selected as a TOP 10 Birthday Gift by FamilyFun Magazine.