• New this fall, a cool crop of DC Super Hero books that already has fans buzzing (see reviews, to right):
• DC Super Heroes: My First Dictionary
• DC Super Heroes: Busy Bodies
• DC: My First Book of Girl Power
• DC: My First Book of Super-Villains.
Also new is the sequel to My Favorite Shoes: My Favorite Purse (already topping the Best Book of the Month List on Amazon.com)!
• Fresh for 'tweens—BEAD-DAZZLED has been released, as an eBook only. The third book of the popular Allegra Biscotti series, BEAD-DAZZLED follows Emma Rose (aka Allegra Biscotti) who must design a killer collection for the hottest fashion show of the year AND keep her dual identity secret. "Kids interested in fashion are sure to become fans of Allegra Biscotti." —School Library Journal
Bookfair in a Box Raise money and spread the love of reading! More info here.
Activity Sheet Enjoy a bit of the Bard with our Shakespeare's Seasons — beautiful paper-collage illustrations accompany selections from Shakepeare's sonnets and plays. Plus, a free activity sheet perfect for classrooms or stores. (downloadable here).
Downtown Bookworks is on Facebook, twitter, and Pinterest — follow us for the latest DTBWP news.
My Favorite Purse follows popular My Favorite Shoes
• Amazon.com chose our brand-new My Favorite Purse as one of November's Best Books of the Month. My Favorite Purse is the perfect companion to My Favorite Shoes, which was #1 on Amazon.com's Best Board Books of 2013 (for ages 0-2). These two touch-and-feel board books are big hits with both mamas and babies who love all things fashion (and just plain fun!) Pat the furry boots! Feel the faux crocodile tote!
Our DC Super Hero books are making waves
• uproxx.com says about our DC Super Hero board books: "This is a good example of DC's licensing department getting things right." Read full review here.
• blogs.denverpost.com/nerd says of DC Super Heroes: My First Dictionary "...it’s clean and easy to read, contains more than 500 words, and for the sake of all that’s holy, has some gorgeous and nostalgic images from back issues of Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Shazam, Flash and many more." Read full review here.
• comicsalliance.com "Superhero publishers could learn a lot from Downtown Bookworks." Read full review here.
• aquamanshrine.net on DC Super Heroes: My First Dictionary— "how cool is this book?" Read full review here.
• The Chicago Sun Times highlights the The Official Super Hero Cookbook.
A lot of love for Clever Costumes and others
• Popular mommy blog, the centsible life, reviewed "Best Birthday Gifts" including The Official DC Super Hero Cookbook, Shark-tastic, and Clever Costumes.
• Popular craft blogger Arts & Crackers deemed Clever Costumes "perfect for frugal-minded people like me because it shows you ways to use things you probably already have lying around like plastic bags, old socks, and bubble wrap mailers!"
• Gingerly Made (another craft blogger) loved Clever Costumes as well: "Clever Costumes may just save my sanity and possibly my wallet this year...This kit comes with a few supplies to get you started and a TON of fantastic costume ideas."
• My Life Abundant (craft blogger) dug Clever Costumes too.
Five awards from The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio
• We're thrilled to announce that The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio (the independent guide to children's media) awarded five of our books the GOLD award for Best Book 2013; and one of our books, the PLATINUM award (highest honor). Read their review for each of our winning books here:
• The Official Super Hero Cookbook (Platinum)
• Into the Field Guide: A Walk in the Woods (Gold)
• Into the Field Guide: A Walk on the Beach (Gold)
• Art from the Start: Mama, Baby, & Other First Words (Gold)
• Art from the Start: Animals in Art (Gold)
• Science with Stuff: Shark-tastic (Gold)
Downtown Bookworks around town
• A nice piece in Publishers Weekly about our licensing deal with PBS Kids, "PBS Heads Downtown."
• Check us out on New York Family (1/2/14).
A lot of our books make great gifts
"This kid-friendly series of nature guides offers a basic introduction to animals, rocks, flowers, seashells, plant life and more. Readers can get hands-on with the included accessories: mesh bags and containers to collect pebbles, flowers, acorns, sea glass, or other tidbits, plus a magnifying glass for further scrutinizing. Each guide also includes a handful of fun tips and activities, like how to dig for mussels or how to make “helicopter” seeds fly."
• Finger Fun! was selected as a TOP 10 Birthday Gift by FamilyFun Magazine.
• Libraries love Shakespeare's Seasons
Read a recent review from the public library system in Virginia Beach here.